East Lyn Tuesday November 5th

Home Forums Message Board East Lyn Tuesday November 5th

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim

The mid life crisis continues…….

I keep thinking that I’m running out of time to do things.
    I keep thinking that I need to do things today.
    I keep thinking……..

Anyway, I left work at 6 in the evening and arrived in Porlock at 9.30 arriving at my 37 quid booking.com accommodation to discover the door open with nobody there. Duncan arrived 10 mins later showing me to my room, the quirky way to turn the bathroom light on, the quirky way to get water and the quirky way to boil the kettle.

A good night sleep, opened the curtains to a sea view and a great buffet style breakfast. Up Porlock hill to meet the guide for the day at the cafe in Lynmouth for 8.30. Andrew Bonney ABC Kayaking. We discuss my recent paddling trips, I hand over 180 quid ( he counts it! ) and off we go to Brendon.

I learn a lot during this first 10 minutes.

1. Only use sweep strokes, no bow rudders
    2. The boat needs to be pointing at the left or the right bank
    3. I’m scared

I’m paddling well and Bonney is obviously making a judgement on my paddling ability. I cope well with the slides and drops and keep my eyes fixed on Bonney who doesn’t use hand signals but a nod of the head. Just before blind bends and over horizon lines turning his head to give a quick nod to me signally it’s ok to go.

There is a double drop on this section between Brendon and Watersmeet which I decide to walk around and film Bonney run it. He respects my choice and very shortly afterwards tells me we are running the gorge below Watersmeet. I’ve passed the test.

The gorge section is made up of crux one and crux two with a very fast, windy and tricky grade 3 between the two. This grade 3 section was for me the hardest on the river. I found myself hugging rocks and going through sections backwards. My heart was beating fast here. The first and second crux have sticky stoppers with siphons at the end of them. Not nice!

After the gorge is grade 3 boogey sections into lynmouth. A metre from the get out I switch off and get stuck in a stopper and find myself side surfing the most innocent looking feature ever! I eventually had to roll to get off. The river god was having the last laugh.

A quick change on the car park which included wolf whistles from the OAPs on the parked up coach and a Cornish Pasty debrief in the cafe.

Back in the car and in work for 6 that evening. What a trip!

Tim

A quick note. The level was 1.62. This is the highest level Bonney would recommend me running the river. 1.62 is perfect for the gorge. Scary if higher, slower but more technical if lower. There is a video on YouTube which is good. BCC on the east Lyn nov 2011. I would highly recommend ABC Kayak.

Tim

Another quick thought. Paddlers at the club are capable of the upper section from Brendon to Watersmeet and I would be comfortable leading a group at that level. I would recommend walking the gorge unless with a good team or guide.

Steve
    Participant

Great, in-depth report Tim and only you would do such a trip then go to work after. Top man.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.